[PD] new GUI screenshots

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Sep 13 18:35:11 CEST 2009

On Sep 12, 2009, at 3:22 PM, András Murányi wrote:

> It looks so nice on the Mac...! ;o)
>
> It's a pity it looks way less 21th Century here on Hardy... fyi I
> have attached the screenshot.

Make you are are running Tcl/Tk 8.5 and it'll look much better.
Install tcl8.5 and tk8.5, then run:
"update-alternatives --config wish" and choose wish8.5.  Then Pd will
use the much improved Wish 8.5.

> I have also mocked up a version with my ideas (which are based on my
> rather limited knowledge of Pd). Please take a look at it.

Did you mock it up in Tcl?

> - Afaik the IN/OUT meters are for the DSP so I would group them with
> the DSP switch.

Makes sense.

> - I would omit the IN/OUT meter switch. Can we? Or is this a CPU-hog?

I think its useful just to be able to have less distractions.

> - I would suggest having some kind of MIDI IN/OUT LEDs... which
> could also serve as switches in case you want to suspend MIDI
> reception or transmission. In my graphics they are just simple
> switches but I'm not sure it is possible to 'blink' those switches.
> If not, then we could have separate switches and LEDs.

That also sounds useful for those who use MIDI.  'pd' is not currently
sending 'pd-gui' that info tho.

> - A LOAD meter. Is this a CPU hog? If not, can we have it on the Pd
> window? (It is quite hidden under the Media menu, imho also because
> Media is a quite fuzzy name.)

That's a nice idea.  It would require writing the Tcl code to get the
load from the OS, but that's probably easy.

> - Console hide, clear. Let's try to have it somewhere right above
> the console!

A clear button is ok, it is on the File menu.  As for hide, I think
its easier to just have window resizing work well.  With the pdwindow
in pd-gui-rewrite, you can manually resize it down to just the metters/
buttons.

.hc

> Sorry the mockup is not very well worked out - I just wanted to
> bring up these quick ideas... ;o)
>
> Andras
>

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> There is a small collection of some screenshots of the new GUI in
> action.  Add anything you think is worth documenting:
>
> http://puredata.info/dev/PdGuiRewriteScreenshots
>
> .hc

> Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
> more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
> practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman