[PD] vanilla, extended, svn and x86_64

dmotd inaudible at simplesuperlativ.es
Wed Sep 23 13:44:05 CEST 2009

Pierre wrote:
> Hi all,
> until now I have been using a 32bit system, but 2 days ago I installed a
> brand new ubuntu '9.10' 64 bit. (And I want to keep it, this '9.10' 64
> bit seems to me faster than '8.04' 32 bit)
>
> As Pd-extended for x86_64 is not auto-builded, I have some questions
> about building a debian package :
>
> - is there a document describing the SVN directory structure ?

nothing clear for the svn itself, but its fairly
self explanitory (most externals folders have
their own readme/info)..

for the extended buildsystem look here:
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/PdExtendedBuildSystem
and
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Debian

> - what are the differences between 'pd-extended' and 'pd-vanilla loading
> all externals' ?

pd-extended is a patched version of pd, so it has
some minor differences in operation - the
externals should not be drastically effected
regardless of the build target. some more low
level ones maybe (toxy / iemguts)

> - what is the simpliest way to build pd-extended (a kind of 'nightly
> build @ home') to produce a beautiful .deb package for x86_64

you can reproduce the autobuild fairly easily
without too much hastle.

> - what is the simpliest way to build pd-'extended'-gui-rewrite for x86_64

x86_64 will not be any different to x86, and the
gui-rewrite uses autotools, so it will work this
out for you.

> - is there a simple way to have and manage differents pd (vanilla,
> extended, gui-rewrite) with differents versions on the same computer ?

just compile without installing.. and launch pd
from the command line using ./pd or something
similar, for something more sophisticated choose a
different install target for each build and build
a script that chooses version at /usr/bin/pd

> Some informations about what I would like to do :
> - in fact I think I dont really need the whole pd-extended thing as I
> often only use Gem with few (5, 6) others externals...

extended is mostly overkill if you know what you
are wanting, and if you only use a handful of
extra objects then maintain by hand.. it will take
a lot of the pain out of the process.

> - but it can be very nice to try and be able to use ANY of the external
> included in the svn (I'm always in a learning process)

it is nice, but if you need them, and need them
badly you will find them and install them.
otherwise you could attempt to use some extended
binaries with a 32bit chroot account, then you can
'try before you buy'!

> - I would like to use the latest sources, nightly build was just fine
> for me on 32bit

better anyhow, the latest stable candidate of
extended is not designed for 64bit and needs to be
heavily patched.

> - but I also need to have a method to build a stable pd-extended release
> if the latests sources give me pd crashes (I do Audio/Video live shows
> and performance and stability are very important on scene...)

if you seriously want reliability then make a
32bit partition and install 32bit ubuntu 9.0 (or
better still try an older more tested version of
ubuntu) besides a lot of array based objects that
have not been thoroughly ported to 64bit, 64bit pd
is not propperly tested and needs a bit more time
and attention. for performance stability stick
with the tried and tested approach.

> voila!
> any suggestion is welcome
> best regards,
> pierre

good luck.. if you seriously want to build for
ubuntu 9.0 x86_64, be prepared for a bit of
frustration.. heres some extra reading - albeit
out of date:

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/BuildingPdExtended64bitUbuntuIntrepid
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/64BitLinux
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/BuildingPdExtended