[PD] pd.lib

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Sep 26 16:24:34 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 03:51:06PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Damien Henry wrote:
>
>> Where can I find documentation about pd.lib ? Does anyone on the list
>> turn pd into a library ? for creating a DSP engine for instance ?
>
> Bah, j'ai fait ça (libpd.so, libpd.dylib ...) sous forme d'un petit
> changement de makefile, mais je n'ai rien fait de concret avec ça.
> j'avais juste espéré que ça inspire quelqu'un.
>
> Il y a d'autres gens qui en ont fait une bibliothèque aussi, mais à ce
> que je sache, pas quelque chose de générique comme libpd.so, plutôt
> quelque chose pour faire de Pd un greffon dans un autre logiciel en
> particulier ou au mieux une interface générique qui n'est pas <m_pd.h>
> (par exemple VST...). Personnellement, j'ai pas regardé.

Well I think it would be of great benefit to Pd if we all stopped doing it in
our own once off, implementation specific, half-arsed way and did it properly
and robustly and submitted the code back to Miller. I already submitted some
half-arsed code for this to him (see the attached patch against Makefile.in),
but I think my chances aren't that great for getting it accepted, since it
stinks! :)

Damien, if you want you can try with that patch and something like this:

void* launchpd(void* arg)
{
    char* args[2] = {"pd", "-nogui"};
    sys_printhook = (t_printhook)my_printhook;
    sys_main(2, args);
}

I think a lot of people dream of a libpd which is independent of all the GUI
code and the driver-specific audio code. It would be awesome if I could go:

t_pd* mypd = launchpd();
while (1) {
	mypd->getBuffer(mybuffer);
}

It would certainly make it easier to make stuff like browser plugins. I dream
of a day when we post the libpd code to the whatwg list and it gets accepted by
all the major browsers, and then we have in-browser procedural audio for our
web apps.

Chris.

http://mccormick.cx