[PD] Printing to Windows command prompt

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Sep 27 14:52:38 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2009, at 3:49 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>
>> start the pd.com rather than the pd.exe
>

> There is definitely some black magic to it.  I find that different
> shells will give you different results, like cmd.exe versus the MSYS
> rxvt shell, the Cygwin rxvt shell, or Cygwin cmd.exe shell.

in w32 an application is either attached to the console or it is not.
this is a compile/link time decision, and not a runtime decision.
so therefore the official way to have both is to create 2 separate
applications; for legacy reasons it is suggested to use ".com" (being
the older app extension for dos) for the console application and ".exe"
for windowed applications. if you have both in your path and just call
"pd" from the cmdline, CMD would/should(?) usually try .com first,thus
you will be default get the console-variant when running from the
console (unless of course your explicitely run pd.exe)

there is no black magic involved and i never enccountered any problems
with w32 CMD.

everything else (cygwin, mingw) is probably not implementing the cli the
way micro$oft imagined the world to be. i don't know about rxvt, but i
strongly guess that cygwin's cmd is meant to be a (intendedly better)
replacement of the built-in cmd, which makes me think that it should
respect behaviour like "immediately returning to prompt or not", in
order to not avoid all .bat files ever.

sdmr
IOhannes