[PD] how to cite the Pure Data in a research paper

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Sep 28 20:17:10 CEST 2009

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Names are not something you can argue about or that you can "improve".
> Pd's author called it "Pure Data" and "Pd", so in a scientific paper I
> would always use these two names/spellings and I'd consider everything
> else a research negligence by the paper's author. In casual
> communication like here of course there is more freedom possible.

By a strange coïncidence, yesterday night, Carmen brought to my attention
the existence of this scientific article about the epidemiology of
zombies... The author claims to be named «Robert Smith?», question-mark
included. For something that people can't argue about or «improve», this
guy's name used up considerable amounts of ink and serious braintime... in
*several* newspapers' style-guide committees. And in the end, there was no
consensus.

   http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/cover.jpg
   http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/684873
   http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/