[PD] smartphone advice

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Oct 29 19:17:11 CET 2009

THere are a number of developments in this regard:

- Pd (pd-gui-rewrite 0.43 branch) now builds directly for Android and
Apple iPhoneOS.  Maemo should be pretty easy too.  No audio yet, but
that's in the works.

- Pd has been available in the Debian-armel branch for a while, that
means lots of devices if you are willing to install your own OS.  You
can install Debian in parallel with Android.

- you can build PDa to run on a wide range of free distros, like
Maemo, Familiar, Angstrom, OpenMoko, reware for ipods, Palms, etc.

rjdj runs well on iPhoneOS, so that means Pd can be made to work well
there.  Android will take a fair amount of work to get up to the same
level, but in the long run will probably be easier since the platform
is a lot more open.

.hc