[PD] rj dirlib [was: Re: how to nqpoly?]

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Mon Nov 9 20:42:28 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> This is what we saw with the introduction of
> [pow~] to Pd-vanilla.  Many people were using cyclone's [pow~] before.
> Since Pd-vanilla's pow~ is built into the pd binary, there is no way to
> use an abstraction called 'pow~.pd', and it even overrides pow~.pd_linux.

Sure, but can't you still use -lib to load your own pow~.d_fat in Pd
since 0.42 (which would print "warning: renamed old pow~ to
pow~_aliased" or similar)?  Or am I completely missing the meaning of
those printouts?

> The only way to maintain compatibility that has been proven is to use
> the same versions of everything.

Exactly - no need to care too much about backwards compatibility,
because you could always use pd-0.38-devel for your old patches and
pd-0.43-guirewrite for your current patches and pd-0.44 for your next
decade patches...

The missing piece here is an auto-upgrade tool for pd patches, similar
to what lilypond uses:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Updating-files-with-convert_002dly

Claude