[PD] compiling externals on snow leopard

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Nov 10 03:03:00 CET 2009

It seems that portaudio should build as 64-bit, perhaps its worth
trying to upgrade the portaudio files that are included in Pd-
extended.  I recently updated the pd-extended/0.42.5 branch to the
most recent stable portaudio.

http://www.portaudio.com/trac/wiki/TutorialDir/Compile/MacintoshCoreAudio

.hc

On Nov 9, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I'm working getting an Apple AudioUnit sound API support into pd-
> core right now.  This will support the iPhone, but should also work
> on Mac OS X.  With this, it should be possible to get working audio
> on Mac OS X without portaudio.
>
> AFAIK, Fink does support 64-bit now, so as long as the libs support
> it, then Fink should work.  I'd say it would be worthwhile building
> Pd-extended 64-bit without the Fink/Macports dependencies, since
> most included externals don't need any other libs.
>
> .hc
>
> On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Rich E wrote:
>
>> Ah, that did the trick.  Thanks.
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> You need to set the LDFLAGS to -arch i386 also.  Or even better,
>> try doing a 64-bit Snow Leopard build of Pd-extended.
>>

>> I'd love to try that, but I'm still working to get a 64-bit Snow
>> Leopard build of Pd-vanilla.  Portaudio won't let me do it yet.
>> Macports is limited as far as I can see, so I'm having to compile
>> each piece from source.
>>

>> cheers,
>> Rich
>>
>> .hc
>>

>> On Nov 8, 2009, at 6:58 PM, Rich E wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to get my externals to compile in to use with Pd-
>> extended... in OS X Snow Leopard. So far it hasn't been easy
>> because Pd-extended is i386 and my externals are compiling as x86_64.
>>
>> All I can find on this is to force the build to i386 with the gcc
>> flag '-arch i386', but the linker won't allow it:
>>
>> ld: warning: in incr.o, file is not of required architecture
>>
>> and then, I again have the 64 bit version:
>> $ file incr.pd_darwin
>> incr.pd_darwin: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64
>>
>> Anyone know how to get these guys to work with Pd-extended?
>>
>> Rich

>> I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."
>> Nobody gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these
>> kids.  -Admiral Gene LeRocque

> "Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools," he
> says, "but with live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris
> McCormick

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli