[PD] Vanilla [list-s2l] prototype

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 02:09:49 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Matt Barber wrote:
>
>> I think this might underline how useful it would be for those of us who
>> use vanilla Pd to have some symbol manipulation tools in vanilla,
>
> It's useless to underline it more than it's been underlined before. Just
> stop using vanilla. This fixes the problem.

I agree -- I don't use vanilla myself, but I know a lot of people do.
As you suggest it's useful for testing the limits -- the sorting
algorithms I implemented a year ago ([list-shellsort] in list-abs is
one of them) are in this class of objects.  I also think they're
useful for teaching students who are intimidated by written code
(almost all of my students are classically-trained composers) some
things about algorithmic thinking.

By "underlining," I mean sometimes you don't know just how badly it's
missing until you try to do it in Pd and check the results against the
compiled libraries.  [list-l2s] will never be as fast as [list2symbol]
from zexy... etc.

MB