[PD] Very large patches unstable?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 3 22:57:49 CET 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> It's not my case, no funny patching at all. I have now realised it
> happens mostly when I save an abstraction which is used a few times (in
> the order of 25, not thousands) in the main patch. I think it must be
> some gem object because I think I did this thousands of times with PD
> alone (though I try to avoid it if I can), and with no crashes....
> Obviously if I happen to find a 100% reproducible case I'll post it.

It doesn't need to be a 100% reproducible crash. If you run Pd in
Valgrind and it finds "Invalid Write", that is most certainly a bug
already, and it's possible that it triggers a Valgrind error 100% of the
time on any machine, or that it triggers a crash 100% of the time on any
machine, but that if you run it outside of Valgrind, it crashes only
sometimes and only on some machines. That way, Valgrind is a great tool
for finding bugs, especially elusive ones.

That said, there are some bugs that are more elusive than that, and for
example, they may be completely invisible in Valgrind and crash 0% of the
time in Valgrind, but crash some random % of the time outside of
Valgrind...