[PD] PDDP (was: Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 7 19:51:59 CET 2009

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> That's some cool stuff.  What are the externals that are being used
> (esp. to hide patch cords and move the abstractions into place?

[gf/lol] has 4 methods: wire_dotted, wire_hide, box_dotted, box_align.
Those are used by [doc_m] to move comments into place, and by [doc_also]
to put «See Also» objects into place. Loading GridFlow also modifies the
running Vanilla or Extended so that comments have an inlet and so that
this inlet is hidden.

For moving the abstractions into place, however, [gf/canvas_getpos] and
[gf/canvas_setpos] are used. If the patch gets any bigger than the patch
window, [gf/canvas_hehehe] is used to auto-expand the window.
[gf/canvas_hohoho] is used to draw dashed bounding-boxes.

Other new externals include [gf/canvas_count] and [gf/canvas_loadbang] for
dynamic patching. [gf/canvas_xid] is used for automating screenshots.
[gf/canvas_edit_mode] reports the edit state, [gf/canvas_setgop] allows an
abstraction to change its own GOP settings, [gf/canvas_filename] allows a
patch to know its own filename, and [gf/canvas_dollarzero] allows a patch
to know the $0 of any of its parents («ancestors»). [gf/string_<] compares
strings (to auto-sort [doc_m] elements), [gf/string_replace] is used a few
times, and I don't recall what I used [gf/getpid] for (but it gets the
process ID).

> Are the pngs/movs in dd or pd-ext?

Still all pd-ext, simply because that's what people are going to use at
the winter Pd workshop at Vidéographe. This new stuff doesn't work in dd,
which will need an entirely different set of hacks anyway. Work on dd is
postponed until the workshop is ready...