[PD] PDDP (was: Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Dec 15 04:58:14 CET 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>
>> That's some cool stuff.  What are the externals that are being used
>> (esp. to hide patch cords and move the abstractions into place?
>
> [gf/lol] has 4 methods: wire_dotted, wire_hide, box_dotted,
> box_align. Those are used by [doc_m] to move comments into place,
> and by [doc_also] to put «See Also» objects into place. Loading
> GridFlow also modifies the running Vanilla or Extended so that
> comments have an inlet and so that this inlet is hidden.
>
> For moving the abstractions into place, however, [gf/canvas_getpos]
> and [gf/canvas_setpos] are used. If the patch gets any bigger than
> the patch window, [gf/canvas_hehehe] is used to auto-expand the
> window. [gf/canvas_hohoho] is used to draw dashed bounding-boxes.
>
> Other new externals include [gf/canvas_count] and [gf/
> canvas_loadbang] for dynamic patching. [gf/canvas_xid] is used for
> automating screenshots. [gf/canvas_edit_mode] reports the edit
> state, [gf/canvas_setgop] allows an abstraction to change its own
> GOP settings, [gf/canvas_filename] allows a patch to know its own
> filename, and [gf/canvas_dollarzero] allows a patch to know the $0
> of any of its parents («ancestors»). [gf/string_<] compares strings
> (to auto-sort [doc_m] elements), [gf/string_replace] is used a few
> times, and I don't recall what I used [gf/getpid] for (but it gets
> the process ID).
>
>> Are the pngs/movs in dd or pd-ext?
>
> Still all pd-ext, simply because that's what people are going to use
> at the winter Pd workshop at Vidéographe. This new stuff doesn't
> work in dd, which will need an entirely different set of hacks
> anyway. Work on dd is postponed until the workshop is ready...

It seems to me that this template is really graphically heavy and
there isn't much text.  While the automation tricks are impressive, I
think that we are better off with a simple manual template with just
enough graphical elements to make things clear, no more.  Here's an
example of my take on the PDDP template: