[PD] message box issue with blank spaces

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 9 12:17:39 CET 2009

Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Ok I have it.
>
> This does work as expected:
>
> [32(
> |
> [makefilename foo%cbar]
> |
> [set $1(
> |
> [  (
>
> Then you can bang the last message box and feed its output to a [list
> length] to verify it is one symbol (well, not a symbol, one whatever).
>
> But then, if I manually edit the message box and modify it (for example
> add some characters), then the space is reconverted to a "true space"
> and the symbol is broken.

that's because the contents of the msgbox get's reparsed when you edit it.

> However, I've realised my particular case has a workaround, since I know
> that the box must contain one symbol, so I can glue it again with the
> "32->%c" trick.

if you want a real symbol, you could as well use

[set symbol $1(

or just believe the output of [makefilename] to be what you expect it to be.

(and there's zexy's [list2symbol] which will concatenate all the
arguments of a list into a single symbol, the default delimiter being space.

> I think a general escaping mechanism would really be needed in PD!!!

yes.

mfgasdf
IOhannes