[PD] gem.conf (was: Re: bug 2621932 appeared in version 0.42)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Dec 13 20:19:13 CET 2009

On Dec 11, 2009, at 9:17 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> Peter Plessas wrote:
>>
>> Oh, and i just compiled Gem and at loading the lib it posts a message
>> about "gem.conf" not being found. What is this file? A config file
>> for
>> Gem itself?
>
> exactly.
>
> i haven't found a way to use Pd's file-opening mechanisms without
> outputting an error if the file cannot be found.
> (but iirc, it only writes to stderr - if not using "-verbose"; so most
> people probably won't notice)
>
> it's meant as a replacement for all the weird envvariables that are in
> use now.
> you can use it set the single-context, default font, default window
> size
> and the like.
> the format is very simple (but different from Pd's rcfile/settings).
> one key/value pair by line.
> e.g.
> <snip>
> font.face /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf
> window.width 800
> window.height 600
> window.x 1024
> window.y 0
> window.border 0
> </snip>
>
> ideas on which things should be settable with this mechanism are
> welcome.
>
> mgfasdr
> IOhannes

Why introduce a new method of configuration when you can do this all
with Pd messages?  It seems to me to overcomplicate things for a tiny
gain.  Gem is already complicated as it is, now there is yet another
way to configure it: messages, env vars, and a special conf file.  I
don't see any reason why this all can't be handled by messages and a
[loadbang].

"We have nothing to fear from love and commitment." - New York Senator
Diane Savino, trying to convince the NY Senate to pass a gay marriage
bill