[PD] gem.conf

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Dec 14 00:28:45 CET 2009

On Dec 13, 2009, at 3:11 PM, cyrille henry wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>> Why introduce a new method of configuration when you can do this
>> all with Pd messages?  It seems to me to overcomplicate things for
>> a tiny gain.  Gem is already complicated as it is, now there is yet
>> another way to configure it: messages, env vars, and a special conf
>> file.  I don't see any reason why this all can't be handled by
>> messages and a [loadbang].
>
> the nice thing is that you don't have to use it if you don't like
> it....
>
> i will not use it because i also prefer the "everything in one
> patch" : you have less surprises when sharing patches.
> (that is also why i think a good patch is a patch that could start
> with -nopref flag on pd startup)

I totally agree, we should be working towards everything in the patch,
and they should work with pd -nopref.  Sure, no one has to use it, but
if someone does use it, and then you want to use their patch, then you
have to use

> but i would understand someone that set gemwin framerate at 50 fps
> because the default 20 fps is a nonsense...
>
> cyrille

Isn't that changed by doing [gemwin 50]?  That doesn't seem so hard
that a gem.conf is needed.

                                               http://at.or.at/hans/