[PD] [readanysf~] and so called interleaved wav files.

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 15 00:13:19 CET 2009

Hi all

I'm trying to build an application that supports loading as many
different WAV-formats as possible (primarily different bit-depths and
number of channels). I found, that when focussing on PCM-encoded files
only, the variety of formats is still big. Actually, i'd like the
application to auto-recognize the number of channels of loaded files.
Since [readanysf~] doesn't do that, i use also [ext13/wavinfo] to gather
some data about the files. Unfortunately, this externals doesn't read
files with a so-called 'broadcast' format. But this is a different
story.
Then i encountered, that there is something called 'interleaved' format.
Those multi-channel files are read fine by [readsf~], but not by
[readanysf~]. I have a 8-channel-interleaved file, which [readanysf~]
seems to play (according to the right most outlet), but all output
channels are mute. However, 8-channel-files i created myself, seem to
work well with both, [readsf~] and [readanysf~]. I have another
6-channel interleaved files, which only 5 are played from by
[readanysf~].
Now, i wonder what is the magic behind those 'interleaved' files and
also, if there is a way to play them in Pd _AND_ have a 'seek' option as
[readanysf~] offers?

Roman