[PD] [readanysf~] and so called interleaved wav files.

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 15 00:36:21 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 00:13 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to build an application that supports loading as many
> different WAV-formats as possible (primarily different bit-depths and
> number of channels). I found, that when focussing on PCM-encoded files
> only, the variety of formats is still big. Actually, i'd like the
> application to auto-recognize the number of channels of loaded files.
> Since [readanysf~] doesn't do that, i use also [ext13/wavinfo] to gather
> some data about the files. Unfortunately, this externals doesn't read
> files with a so-called 'broadcast' format. But this is a different
> story.
> Then i encountered, that there is something called 'interleaved' format.
> Those multi-channel files are read fine by [readsf~], but not by
> [readanysf~]. I have a 8-channel-interleaved file, which [readanysf~]
> seems to play (according to the right most outlet), but all output
> channels are mute. However, 8-channel-files i created myself, seem to
> work well with both, [readsf~] and [readanysf~]. I have another
> 6-channel interleaved files, which only 5 are played from by
> [readanysf~].
> Now, i wonder what is the magic behind those 'interleaved' files and
> also, if there is a way to play them in Pd _AND_ have a 'seek' option as
> [readanysf~] offers?

Googling some more makes me believe, that 'interleaved' does mean
nothing more than just 'many audio channels interleaved into one single
file'. So actually both my 8-channel WAV-files are interleaved. Both are
8ch 16bit 44100Hz PCM files and still they are different in that only
one of them is read correctly by [readanysf~].

* How can i get info about PCM-WAV files in Pd?
* How can i reliably play them back (with the ability to seek)?

Roman