[PD] PyPd

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Dec 15 12:48:33 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:40:30PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:31 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:50:44PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> Hanging as in not responding, but not quitting.  I guess bang/until
> would do that.  Its tricky to catch.  I guess there needs to be some
> kind of ping.

I will test it, but that faces the same old can of worms with [until], which is
to say, what if the user just passed a very very large number to until? (e.g.
if they are processing a very long list).

> The advantage of this using PyPd for the unittest scripts is that PyPd
> becomes more robust in the process.  The only issue in my mind is
> whether PyPd has the same goal in terms of monitoring the pd process.  I
> can't see why not, but I suppose there could be a reason.

I am quite happy for you to use PyPd in your unit test script. :)

What do you mean by "the same goal in terms of monitoring the pd process"?

The goal of PyPd is two things: 1) provide an easy way to launch, communicate
with, and shut down an instance of Pd. 2) provide an easy and general way to
parse Pd files in order to extract useful information from them.

Chris.