[PD] PyPd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Dec 18 19:11:16 CET 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 6:48 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:40:30PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>> On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:31 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:
>>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:50:44PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> Hanging as in not responding, but not quitting.  I guess bang/until
>> would do that.  Its tricky to catch.  I guess there needs to be some
>> kind of ping.
>
> I will test it, but that faces the same old can of worms with
> [until], which is
> to say, what if the user just passed a very very large number to
> until? (e.g.
> if they are processing a very long list).

Yup, no easy answer.  This is where the timeout comes in.  I can't
think of another way.

>> The advantage of this using PyPd for the unittest scripts is that
>> PyPd
>> becomes more robust in the process.  The only issue in my mind is
>> whether PyPd has the same goal in terms of monitoring the pd
>> process.  I
>> can't see why not, but I suppose there could be a reason.
>
> I am quite happy for you to use PyPd in your unit test script. :)
>
> What do you mean by "the same goal in terms of monitoring the pd
> process"?
>
> The goal of PyPd is two things: 1) provide an easy way to launch,
> communicate
> with, and shut down an instance of Pd. 2) provide an easy and
> general way to
> parse Pd files in order to extract useful information from them.

Those both sound good.  For the unittests, #1 seems more important. I
guess the question is whether you want to deal with the until/timeout
problem in PyPd.  I.e. tracking whether a Pd process stops responding
and providing a way to kill/restart it.

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom