[PD] PyPd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Dec 18 19:19:32 CET 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2009, at 6:48 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:40:30PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> wrote:
>>> Hanging as in not responding, but not quitting.  I guess bang/until
>>> would do that.  Its tricky to catch.  I guess there needs to be some
>>> kind of ping.
>>
>> I will test it, but that faces the same old can of worms with
>> [until], which is
>> to say, what if the user just passed a very very large number to
>> until? (e.g.
>> if they are processing a very long list).
>
> Yup, no easy answer.  This is where the timeout comes in.  I can't
> think of another way.
>
>>> The advantage of this using PyPd for the unittest scripts is that
>>> PyPd
>>> becomes more robust in the process.  The only issue in my mind is
>>> whether PyPd has the same goal in terms of monitoring the pd
>>> process.  I
>>> can't see why not, but I suppose there could be a reason.
>>
>> I am quite happy for you to use PyPd in your unit test script. :)
>>
>> What do you mean by "the same goal in terms of monitoring the pd
>> process"?
>>
>> The goal of PyPd is two things: 1) provide an easy way to launch,
>> communicate
>> with, and shut down an instance of Pd. 2) provide an easy and
>> general way to
>> parse Pd files in order to extract useful information from them.
>

> Those both sound good.  For the unittests, #1 seems more important.
> I guess the question is whether you want to deal with the until/
> timeout problem in PyPd.  I.e. tracking whether a Pd process stops
> responding and providing a way to kill/restart it.

I should add, if you think that you want to handle that in PyPd, then
I'll port load_every_help.py to use PyPd.  Then it would also be good
to abstract that script so it can also be used for running unit
tests.  I was thinking this for the unit tests, please add any ideas:

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/SimpleRegressionTesting/?searchterm=regression