[PD] Advice on how to handle latency in linux with Pd, jack and ardour

Simon Iten itensimon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 20:33:20 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 11:50 +0100, Lorenzo wrote:
> I've been lately messing around with a fairly straight forward
> configuration sending audio from ardour to Pd's adc~ (through jack)
> and back to ardour via MIDI (for controlling automations) or audio
> (trivially re-recording Pd's dac~ output).
>
> In the case of MIDI latency seems no perceptible problem.
>
> In the case of audio, where the audio is of course 'processed' in the
> Pd patch and eventually 'goes back' to ardour, there is latency.
> This of course is expected for the nature itself of jack, what I'd
> like to know at this stage is not how to remove latency but the best
> way(s) to handle it (possibly even through raising the latency itself,
> as for the moment I'm not doing real-time), for example if there were
> some way to compensate it automatically (or at least in some 'smart'
> way).

you could of course pipe the unprocessed sound through pd as well, and
apply a delay that is exactly as long as the "delay" introduced by your
processing. then you record both outputs from pd to ardour. you get two
new wav files, the unprocessed and the processed, both aligned. that's a
little bit a mess i guess... :-)

regards,

simon