[PD] latency solutions... and then some

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sun Jan 31 10:35:03 CET 2010

"Unnoticeable" latency usually refers to the musician not noticing the
difference in time between when they press the key and when the sound
comes out. Any time you add a delayed signal to the original signal, you
will notice it. The "slap-back" happens at longer latencies, but at
shorter latencies you will hear *very* noticeable comb-filtering. And
since no computer-based solution is latency-free, I think you need to
re-examine what you are expecting Pd to do. Either that, or go with a
dedicated DSP board (and learn the accompanying programming!) which
would give you a more guitar-pedal-like "zero-latency" system.

Maybe Marco Donnarumma could give a few words here on processing
instruments live. His set uses an electric bass through Pd. My guess is
that even the un-processed signal goes through Pd to avoid echos or comb
filtering due to latency.

Best,
Derek

--