[PD] latency solutions... and then some

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 15:20:46 CET 2010

Hi Jeffrey! I ve been trying to minimize latency in Pd for a year now,
experimenting with various OS and hardware. I m using Pd for the same
purpose, that is live processing of electric instruments (mainly a guitar).
I would recommend using a Linux distro, because they have "realtime"
kernels, and the JACK server, plus you can get the hid object in Pd (which
does not exist on windows). If you want to play live you want to go for
latencies below 7 or 6 ms. I get a 5 ms latency on an old Dell laptop (1
Ghz) with the latest Fedora with the CCRMA realtime kernel.
I can also give you a couple of hints about the interface (I personnaly have
hacked a cheap gamepad and it works great). You can reasonably expect to get
a low-latency live set at a very low cost, provided that you have a quite
recent laptop to work with.

Pierre