[PD] float to a signal inlet

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 3 10:10:28 CET 2010

On 2010-02-03 08:20, Andrew Faraday wrote:

> I think it's an historical thing, most audio inlets which might benefit from a signal level message have the [sig~] built in. I understand this might not always have been the case so some more old school PDers use it, and they remain in the help files.
> I don't know if there's some minor technical benefit to using the [sig~] object, but I've still to find a need for it

i don't think there is any technical benefit.
the benefit is mainly in the non-ambiguity it offers.
a message and a signal are 2 fundamentally different things, so an
object could well accept both signals and float-messages on a single
inlet (e.g  [z~] comes to my mind).
in order to allow this, you need a converter, which [sig~] is (and
[line~] as well; but [sig~] probably _does_ have performance benefits
with regard to [line~].

that was back then in the golden age of Pd (right after you could hit
"delete" in the [f] box two(!) times without getting a crash)

since the conversion between numbers and floats seems to be an often
demanded feature, it was eventually introduced as a built-in (breaking
objects like [z~]). sigh.

in order to create a gatom controlled sinewave, you had to do

[sig~]
[phasor~]
[cos~]

fgmasdr
IOhannes

PS: as we all now, the above patch (and it's modern equivalent [osc~]
will produce ugly clicks when used like this; isn't it time to request a
built-in [line~]?