[PD] [list] output

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 17:47:01 CET 2010

The current help patch for [list] family objects doesn't mention what
kind of messages [list] outputs.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe on puredata.info) that for messages
consisting of two or more atoms/elements, [list] will output a list, and
for empty lists and 1-element messages [list] will output a bang or
float/symbol messages, respectively.

But as far as I can tell, [list] doesn't do any conversion at its outlet--
everything it outputs will have the selector "list", and it's up to other
objects like [route] to do any conversion they deem necessary.

For example, take the bug with sigbinops:

    [put anything you want in this message box(

    [list]

[+~ ]

error: inlet: expected 'signal' but got 'list'

So I'm guessing that [list append/prepend/split] always output messages
with the "list" selector.  This would seem consistent with the behavior at
the inlets.

Do I have this right?

Thanks,
Jonathan