[PD] [list] output

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Thu Feb 4 18:22:36 CET 2010

My top 3 related annoyances (in pd-0.41-4 on Linux).

1. "1 2   "--[route 1   ]--[*~] // inlet~ no method for list
2. "1     "--[list trim ]--[*~] // inlet~ no method for list
3. "list 1"--[route list]--.... // outputs on "unmatched" outlet

Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> The current help patch for [list] family objects doesn't mention what
> kind of messages [list] outputs.
>
> I remember reading somewhere (maybe on puredata.info) that for messages
> consisting of two or more atoms/elements, [list] will output a list, and
> for empty lists and 1-element messages [list] will output a bang or
> float/symbol messages, respectively.

I think the conversion is done at inlets of co-operating objects, rather
than outlets.  Probably the conversion work is duplicated if you
fan-out, possibly also the source code to do the conversion is
duplicated too (but I haven't investigated).