[PD] [list] output

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 21:06:25 CET 2010

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, IOhannes zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> From: IOhannes zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] [list] output
> To: "Matteo Sisti Sette" <matteosistisette at gmail.com>
> Cc: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>, "PD list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 1:49 PM
> Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> > Jonathan Wilkes escribió:
> >
> >> I'm concerned mainly with documentation, and for
> an object like
> >> [list]
>
> actually, there is no objectclass "list". what you get with
> [list] is an
> instance of the objectclass "list append" (and yes, this is
> an
> objectclass name with a space in it)

I should have said [list append] since I'm talking
about documentation.  I'm not changing the docs in any way to make it
look like there is a sixth object class (actually list-help.pd currently
says there are four, which is wrong).

I think it's best to show the relationship among the list objects as the
fact that they can all be called by starting with the "list" selector in
an object box, and the first argument determines which object class gets
instantiated.  (Shortcuts being [list] with no args or with the first arg
being a float -> [list append], as well as the implicit list [1 2 3] ->
[list append]).

Then one subpatch for each object class (just as the current help for
list).

-Jonathan