[PD] [list] output

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 7 19:20:12 CET 2010

--- On Sun, 2/7/10, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> From: Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>
> Subject: Re: [PD] [list] output
> To: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 12:48 PM
> Hallo,
> Jonathan Wilkes hat gesagt: // Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>
> > A list with one pointer element will trick [route]:
> >
> > [traverse some-canvas, bang(
> > |
> > [pointer]
> > |
> > [list append]
> > |
> > [route symbol]
>
> Is this crasher bug already reported on Sourceforge? You
> can crash Pd without
> the [list append] here, btw. and also by replaceing the
> [print] with a [set
> $1(--->[ ( message box construction.
>
> Anyway to "route" pointers one usually uses the [pointer]
> object. For pointers
> it's useful to know what type of [struct] they belong to,
> so something like
> [pointer event time score] will dispatch your event, time
> and score pointers
> accordingly through their respective inlets.

I've never actually used [route] with a pointer in practice.  It could
be useful in teaching, however, to show how the standard messages are
routed according to their selector (as far as I can tell, pointer messages
have the selector "pointer", right?).

In Chapter 2.9.1, the Pd manual states:
'The pointer data type is also integrated into pipe-fitting objects such as "pack", "unpack", and "route".'

So it seems like [route] should handle pointers just as it does other the
other "standard" message types.

-Jonathan