[PD] shouldn't message boxes work as gui elements?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 19:29:01 CET 2010

--- On Mon, 2/8/10, Matteo Sisti Sette <matteosistisette at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Matteo Sisti Sette <matteosistisette at gmail.com>
> Subject: [PD] shouldn't message boxes work as gui elements?
> To: "PD list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 6:25 PM
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is already being addressed in the
> rewrite-gui version...
>
> I've always wondered why message boxes are not treated as
> gui elements, like number and symbol boxes, that is:
>
> - they do not graph on parent
> - they do not have a properties dialog with at least a send
> and receive symbol
>
> Is there some particular reason why it has been decided not
> to treat (or allow treating) message boxes as gui elements,
> or is it simply that it has never been felt as a priority to
> implement this feature? I mean, would it imply any
> drawback?

I've thought about that, too.  I made a feature request for an object
(ID: 2799270) that would combine my_canvas with the message box's
features.  (Although now that I think about it, it should probably only
have one inlet that handles all the GUI-specific messages, like [bng]
does, and be visually different than a message box by default.)

As for nonlocal send and receive on the current msg box: you've already
got a nonlocal send by starting the message box with a semicolon.  I like that a lot more than nonlocal send/receive names that are hidden away in
a properties dialog. (But unfortunately, there's no nonlocal receive for msg boxes.)

-Jonathan