[PD] pix_video, webcam issue on Linux

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Mon Feb 15 11:10:02 CET 2010

Hi all,

This may not be specific to Pd/Gem..

I have a webcam I am trying to get working with [pix_video] in the
following environment.

- Ubuntu Studio 9.04,
- Pd-extended 0.41.4 (.deb for the above distro)
- Gem 0.92.2

The camera works fine with Skype for Linux and v4l-test.

However, when specifying the device with [pix_video], I get a series of
errors such as,

v4l: VDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument
v4l: VIDIOCGMBUF: Invalid argument

I've seen posts on this list related to similar errors, in the case of
pdp, with advise to bypass the conditional jumps near where the defines
appear... this did not work with Gem. (Tried with videoVL4.cpp)

After some surfing, my understanding as of now is that Gem is trying to
issue V4L functions, whereas my webcam driver only understands V4L2..
Is this so?

I would appreciate advise on insight on what could be happening here, or
even just workarounds to this case.

Here are some hardware specs I gathered, followed by the output of Gem
(or they could be from ioctl... I am new to V4L).

-- Output of v4l_dump (http://www.raphnet.net/programmation/v4l_tools/)

Using device /dev/video0
struct video_capability
{
	name='Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_0.3M'
	channels=1
	audios=0
	maxwidth=640
	maxheight=480
	minwidth=48
	minheight=32
}
VIDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument
struct video_picture
{
	brightness=32768
	hue=32768
	colour=41942
	contrast=0
	whiteness=0
	depth=16
	palette=8
}

-- Pd main window output

[pix_video]: video driver 0: video4linux v4l // <--- On object ctreation
verbose( 1):[pix_video]: device-err: 0    // <--- When sending [device
/dev/video0 <
verbose( 0):v4l: stopped Transfer
verbose( 1):v4l::startTransfer closing 6

-- Console output ( When sending [device /dev/video0< )

v4l: VDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument
v4l: VDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument
v4l: VIDIOCGMBUF: Invalid argument

Thank you in advance..