[PD] Window focus in gem

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Thu Feb 18 17:21:26 CET 2010

Quoth John Harrison, on 18/02/10 15:24:
> Since you are on Linux one kludge might be to use devilspie
> <http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie>to force focus to a
> particular window?
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:19 AM, James Dunn <james at 4thharmonic.com
> <mailto:james at 4thharmonic.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi list,
>
>     I have a patch where I'm running the audio in one instance of pd
>     and gem in another with -noaudio.
>     I have the audio pd patch sending the output of [keyname] to gem
>     pd via [netsend], but after starting the patch in fullscreen the
>     audio pd patch loses the window focus. It works to begin with for
>     a few keystrokes, then I can no longer control the audio. I have a
>     [gemkeyname] object in the gem patch which then takes over
>     (presumably triggered by the gem activity that was controlled from
>     the audio pd patch), but I lose the audio pd control.
>     I tried adding another netsend (on a different port) back to the
>     audio pd, but then I get some double triggers!
>
>     So, what is the best way to maintain focus on one particular
>     window? It would be fine if the gem window has focus all the time,
>     or the audio pd window but I haven't worked out how and why it
>     changes. I'm using Ubuntu Hardy and pd-extended-0.42.5.
>
>     thanks
>
>     James

Hmm, I think [linuxevent] might be the way to go. There's a post from
Hans in the archives that suggests adding the user to the input group to
open the keyboard, but I think the group is root? So is this really the
best way to input my keyboard as an ordinary user in pd? I'd rather not
have my everday user account with root priveleges.