[PD] PD, xxxduino and adafruitmotor shield

JNM jnm at rom.fr
Sun Feb 21 13:33:58 CET 2010

Salut

We are in Dakar, Sénégal, for the second PD/XXXduino
workshop in west Africa where we prototype a suitcase for
the pedagogy of interactive art.((
http://www.craslab.org/valise (draft, english soon)))

We try to find a solution to control the stepper motor and
dc motor with PD standard firmata 2.1 with the
adafruitmotorshield. Servomotors are easy to pilot from
PD, but steppers and DC motor are piloted by a chip.
The docs says
(http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/faq.html):

  "The DC/Stepper motors are NOT connected to the Arduino
directly. They are connected to the 74HC595 latch which is
spoken to by the Arduino. You CANNOT talk directly to the
motors, you MUST use the motor shield library"

Does anyone in the list has found a hack to talk to this
chip from PD to pilot the steppers and DC motors ?
Thanks
JNM, Jérôme Abel, and 17 Senegalese and Malian students