[PD] another [readanysf~] install-on-ubuntu guide. (was: readanysf~ binary ubuntu?)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Feb 22 18:17:13 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 16:53 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 10:36 +0100, João Pais wrote:
> > [I couldn't find August Black's mail, so I sent this to the list]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was looking for readanysf~, and found your site. Unfortunately I
> > couldn't built it myself, the make instructions didn't work, and these
> > libraries don't exist for jaunty. Do you have a package with a jaunty
> > binary?
>
> Since it is dependent on gavl and gmerlin-avdecoder, one would also have
> to maintain packages of those before it makes sense to package
> [readanysf~] as a deb package.

Hurrah, there is actually already a PPA for gmerlin-avdecoder and gavl,
thanks to Fabrice Coutadeur:

https://launchpad.net/~fabricesp/+archive/ppa

I just tested to quickly make Pd-devel-0.43 and readanysf~ run from a
ubuntu 9.10 live-cd and everything worked (almost) flawlessly.

Here (again!) another, hopefully easier howto:

1. add the sources from the PPA above to your /etc/apt/sources.list

2. install gmerlin-avdecoder (this will automatically install gavl):
$ sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install libgmerlin-avdec-dev

3. download the sources of readanysf~ from:
http://aug.ment.org/readanysf/download.php and extract them from the
archive.

4. Now why I said '(almost) flawlessly': readanysf~'s Makefile expects
the headers of gmerlin-avdecoder to be in /usr/local/include. Since we
installed it from the repository, we need to edit the Makefile (for
instance with gedit). Change this line:

GAVLPATH=/usr/local/include

GAVLPATH=/usr/include

If you have Pd also installed from the repository, apply the same change
to the next line:

PDPATH=/usr/local/include

PDPATH=/usr/include

5. Now run 'make' in <path-to>/readanysf~0.36 to build [readanysf~]

6. To finally install the external, I usually do (from the same
directory):
$ sudo mkdir /usr/lib/pd/extra/readanysf~
$ sudo cp readanysf~.pd_linux /usr/lib/pd/extra/readanysf~/
$ sudo cp readanysf~-help.pd /usr/lib/pd/extra/readanysf~/

This worked for me. I hope it does for you as well.

Roman