[PD] another [readanysf~] install-on-ubuntu guide. (was: readanysf~ binary ubuntu?)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Feb 23 23:30:00 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 14:00 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2010, at 7:15 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> >> Actually, compiling [readanysf~] is dead-easy. It's only it's
> >> dependencies, that can be tricky. However, if you _know_ that you
> >> need
> >> to first install some libraries for compiling gmerlin-avdecoder, then
> >> this is easy as well.
> >
> > If anyone interested, I made my first debian package:
> > http://www.romanhaefeli.net/software/pd/pd-readanysf_0.36-1_i386.deb
> >
> > It depends on libgmerlin-avdec1 from this PPA:
> > https://launchpad.net/~fabricesp/+archive/ppa/+packages
> >
> > It only supports ubuntu 9.10 on i386. Also there seem to be issues
> > with
> > the gmerlin-avdecoder version shipped from the above PPA (as mentioned
> > by August in a previous post).
> > However, I thought I better post it anyway. It worked for me on Ubuntu
> > 9.10 live-CD.
>
> That's great Roman!  I have also been working on packaging, with the
> aim of getting things into Debian.  Then they'll go into Ubuntu too.
> We should try to get a Debian Developer to sponsor the gmerlin stuff
> so that it gets included.  Its used by Gem too.

It certainly would be great, if it could make into Debian. However, that
seems to be a trickier thing to do than what I did yesterday (readanysf
also has only one author) and most likely it requires more expertise to
get everything right.
I would be glad to be of any help here, though I think I rather start
with proper packages in Launchpad, since that seems more realistic and I
also wouldn't want to step on someones toes, who already started working
on it. The first goal would be to have working and up-to-date packages
of gmerlin-avdecoder and readanysf~ in launchpad. This hopefully would
already ease the installation of it a lot.

> FYI, here are the libdirs that I have packaged and built using
> launchpad.  Also, you can easily make builds for old distros with
> launchpad as well, like Jaunty, etc.
> http://launchpad.net/~eighthave/+archive/libdirs/+packages

Very nice!

Roman