[PD] Actionscript library for netsend/netreceive

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Feb 24 06:28:04 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:04:47PM +0100, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Wouldn't it be great to have a [netclient] object, almost identical to
> [netsend] but capable of receiving as well as sending messages (an
> outlet for received messages just like netreceive),

Hell yes! If Miller included this in Vanilla, I hereby pledge one bottle of
top-shelf rum and/or whisky (at his option) to be posted to his offices. Good
old bribery.

Incidentally, this library I wrote hacks around the problem by connecting back
to patches after they have made a connection to the server. Unfortunately it
only works if both machines/devices running Pd are on the same local network.
The server is written in Python:

<http://mccormick.cx/projects/PdLANParty/>

There's also this technique for allowing patches to communicate over HTTP but
it requires an OS that can run shellscripts, pdsend, pdreceive in the
background:

<http://code.google.com/p/pd-http/>

Chris.