[PD] Strange bug in my patch

Caio Barros caio.barros at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:59:40 CET 2010

First of all, thank you for the support. This patch already gave me some
headaches, but with this problem I just couldn't figure out what was going
on. For what I understood, the problem is in Pd itself (I didn't understand
if that is a pd bug or not though). But, Matteo, if the patch don't create
objects dynamically It will always be limited by the number of allocable
objects, isn't it? The other solution could work, and I'll probably do
something like that since right now is much more important for me to get my
piece done, although I can't help having a sensation of cheating (but this
is of course just my compulsive neurosis).

But why again dynamic object creation is not officially supported? It works
fine in pd vanilla, wich was the one I used to build this patch, but it does
have some problems. Isn't it usefull?

Anyway, what you guys said was very very helpfull. And about the
inconvenience, I was woried that I could not explain my problem in the
subject and did not know how to search in the archive about this. So someone
would have to look at my patch to understand what I was saying wich I find a
little boring. Like all newbies, I was just worried of making a stupid

Caio Barros

2010/2/26 Matteo Sisti Sette <matteosistisette at gmail.com>

> > when dynamically creating
> > signal-processing objects or abstractions, the dsp graph is not
> > automatically recompiled
> [...]
> > I can't
> > recall if it is considered a feature or a bug, but probably it
> > doesn't matter, since dynamic object creation is not officially
> > supported.
> [...]
> > Actually, when creating a tilde object or an abstraction, that
> > processes
> > signals, dynamically it's not taken into account for the currently
> > used
> > dsp graph. However, when you create the second instance (or any other
> > tilde object), the first one is taken into account, but not the
> > second.
> This is _not_ only with dynamically created objects.
> It also happens with manually-created instances of abstractions containing
> dsp objects.
> See the attached patch: open "test.pd", it contains a [catch~ audio]
> connected to the dac.
> Then create in it an instance of [myabs~ 500]: it contains an osc connected
> to a [throw~ audio], and $1 is used as the frequency.
> You will hear nothing.
> Then create a [myabs~ 700]: now you'll start to hear the previously created
> one, but not the second. And so on.
> So the bug also affects "officially supported" patching and it does matter,
> though only for "live patching" (everything works fine when you load a saved
> patch). When you know it it's not a major issue (or an issue at all), but
> until you realise it, it can be quite confusing when editing the patch and
> try to figure out what's going on...
> --
> Matteo Sisti Sette
> matteosistisette at gmail.com
> http://www.matteosistisette.com
> _______________________________________________
> Pd-list at iem.at mailing list
> UNSUBSCRIBE and account-management ->
> http://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-list
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/attachments/20100226/09862d39/attachment.htm>

More information about the Pd-list mailing list