[PD] analysis before synthesis: How?

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:04:33 CET 2010

If the scifi-sound is a theremin, there's a good chance that you could
have decent success using sigmund~ to follow spectral peaks over a
certain volume, and resynthesize by sending the frequency/amplitude
information to a bank of oscillators.  It'll help to know something
about how spectral analysis works to find the best values for window
size and hop, but sigmund~ makes things as easy as possible.

The other option that might be worth a shot is Audacity's "Noise
Removal" effect.  You select a region of the file that is just noise
to train it, then process the noise removal.  From the few times I've
used it, I've gotten results ranging from laughable to passable.  It
completely depends on the nature of the signal and noise components
you're dealing with.

Good luck,
William