[PD] warning: class XXX overwritten - what does it mean?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 8 09:48:12 CET 2010

On 2010-03-08 09:40, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Great.
> Just out of curiosity however, what do the warning mean? Well ok, they
> mean  a class has been overridden, but "why"? The classes mentioned in
> the error messages (pix_videoDS for example) don't exist in Pd, so it
> seems like they are defined twice in Gem?

yes.

> I just would like to understand roughly what's going on...

so basically, if two objectclasses claim the same name, older versions
of Pd would just ignore the second attempt to register a class with that
name, whereas newer versions will happily give the name to the newer
objectclass (but issuing a warning).

in Gem some names are used multiple times, because of either inheritance
(one objectlcass being derived from other another objectclass; this is
C++-talk....) or for compatibility reasons (e.g. using deprecated names).

it currently does work despite of the warnings, but i would like to get
rid of such disturbing matters in the next release.

fgmsadr
IOhannes