[PD] GEM: forcing the use of Quicktime with pix_flim??

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 00:27:29 CET 2010

Hi,

With the latest release of Gem pix_film eats about ten or twenty time
more CPU than a precompiled binary compiled in August 2006 that I
downloaded time ago. And it eats so much cpu after opening a file no
matter whether it is playing it or not (I mean even after disconnecting
the gemhead from it). That didn't happen in the 2006 version

So I've realised that with the 2006 version of gem, it uses QUICKTIME,
while when I use the latest version it uses DIRECTSHOW.

Digging into the patch (which I wrote a couple of years ago for the 2006
version) I notice I opened files with a message like this:
[open myfile.mov 1(

That "1" is undocumented in the current help patches, but iirc I used it
in order to force [pix_film] to use quicktime rather than directshow.

Was that feature removed?
If so, is there another way to force gem to use quicktime rather directshow?
I'd like to test with quicktime to figure out whether this absurdly huge
cpu consumption is due to the use of DirectShow as opposed to Quicktime,
or if it is just a bug introduced in some recent version of Gem.

thanks
m.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette