[PD] Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these compare?

saint saintidle at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 11:02:03 CET 2010

I do think that a big snag in the learning curve for some people is the initial provision of only very basic building blocks.

You pretty much have to download Pd and then get Miller's book (what I did) or FLOSS Manual/Andy Farnell's etc. (God I really want Andy's book! Broke atm!) and then devote a good few hours into getting off the ground.

What should really be implemented (I've seen some screenshots for the next release yes??) is the right-click style access to a menu organised into say, primitive objects, medium and high-level abstractions.

Initial users, say the casual VST synth Mike or Michelle, just want to...
1. Crack open a subractive synth. Play it. (High level).
2. Then dismantle it, see how it works and maybe make their own modular noise spewers from pre-formed building blocks. (Medium level).
3. Build their own building blocks to suit their own desire/dream/whim etc. (Low level)

Which is what Reaktor has. (Does the newer bubbly Max have that too?). So I can see the original poster's point.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pd (I'm here aren't I??!). But I also can't wait for it to evolve into a more user friendly and intuitive program (not at the expense of it's simplicity though!). There'll be more of us here then.

Or do we want to be like the Fixed-gear Cyclists? All exclusive and haircutty??! "Well, I was using Pure Data waaaay before it could emit a speaker beep..."

John.