[PD] Using Pd to play drums in a band

Austin Huang austinvh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 05:11:28 CET 2010

I once constructed a live setup in keykit to make laptop music on the fly
with a live band. It's not easy to do well (you really come to respect how
difficult it is to replicate the expressiveness of a traditional
instrument). taptempo will work in a live setting, but there are a few
tricks that help make it useable:

- You may want to compensate for latency (so that the computer doesn't come
in on beat 1 +20ms or whatever your latency is). i.e. the phase for the
beginning of the measure is shifted back by -Xms to compensate for latency

- I rigged it so that when you tap N beats (where N is the number of taps
used compute the average bpm), the taptempo would automatically trigger some
sort of sequencer module on the N+1 beat. Every instant is critical in a
live performance context...

- Speaking of doing things efficiently, I preferred to have the taptempo
take 8th notes instead of quarter notes. This made it easier to come in
within a shorter amount of time (but still have a few taps to compute an
average bpm).

~A