[PD] any mac OS terminal experts?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 19:57:26 CET 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Andrew Faraday wrote:

> Hey All
>
> I've recently started learning Ruby (on Ubuntu 9.04), part of what I'm trying to do is control PD through ruby, using the terminal.
> The main trouble I'm having now is that I'm mostly using a Mac OS X machine which doesn't recognize the 'pdsend' and 'pdreceive' commands (as the linux shell does). I've tried opening the files with these names in /resources/bin which open a new terminal window and display what looks like the relevant -help text. But I can't seem to use these to send messages to and from pd from the Mac OS terminal. (in theory I could then automate this with Ruby).
>
> Any ideas, at all?

I had the same issue when trying to use some scripts I made in Linux with pd. I solved it by adding some function wrappers to my ~/.bash_profile:

# pd commandline
function pd {
	/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd $@;
}
export -f pd

function pdsend {
	/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pdsend $@;
}
export -f pdsend

Make sure to restart the terminal session for it to take effect.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com
robotcowboy.com