[PD] Max Smoother Audio than Pd?

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Sun Mar 28 23:18:36 CEST 2010

Claude Heiland-Allen a écrit :
> Alexandre Porres wrote:
>> "I feel Max produce a smoother audio than Pd. Didit"
>
> Well, if you use [tabread4~] or any of the many other Pd objects that
> use the same broken interpolation algorithm (copy/paste programming),
> you get horrible noise.  If you use [tabread4] to interpolate graphical
> parameters for animations, the discontinuities in the derivatives are
> really obvious.
>
> See attached patch - it would be interesting to see if a Max/MSP port of
> this patch exhibits the same problem.

well, the cos~ object does not internally use a 4 points interpolation.
see code :
*out++ = f1 + frac * (f2 - f1);
it's a 2 points linear interpolation.

> nusmuk audio tabread4c~ uses the correct interpolation algorithm,
> correct me if I'm wrong.
i don't think there is a correct interpolation algorythm.
I heard that software like reaktor use very diferent algorythm, with lot's more points, in order to have a band limited interpolation.

cyrille