[PD] propertybang-help

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 18:11:56 CEST 2010

--- On Thu, 4/1/10, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] propertybang-help
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "pd-list" <PD-list at iem.at>
> Date: Thursday, April 1, 2010, 4:52 PM
> On 2010-04-01 16:21, IOhannes m
> zmoelnig wrote:
> > On 2010-03-31 19:49, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> >> propertybang-help.pd says that [propertybang] is
> per abstraction, but it's
> >> per abstraction _instance_, right?
> >
> > indeed.
> > but hen: how would you right-click on an abstraction
> class (that is: not
> > an instance?)

That's currently the problem with your help patch.  The behavior of the
object is clear from the usage description, but then you decide to put
"per abstraction" in all caps, which made me wonder whether you mean
"per abstraction instance"-- the desired behavior-- or "per abstraction class"-- in which case I would take it to mean right-clicking one instance
sends a bang to _all_ instances.  Then you said at the bottom that "you
cannot have [propertybang]s per subpatch," which confirms the latter (see
"2.7. subpatches"), which would render the object useless and make me
think it's just not finished yet.  So I have to build my own abstraction
and test the object to see whether the it does something useful, which
defeats the whole purpose of having the help patch in the first place.

Why not just add two instances of an abstraction to the example?

Also you say:
"having multiple [propertybang]s within one abstraction, will trigger them all at the same time."

What else would anyone expect?  (And technically they are triggered
in the order they were created, but I think it all goes without saying
anyway.)

Also- in canvasposition-help.pd you erroneously begin the patch with a
[canvasindex] object.