[PD] memento file retore crashes Pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Apr 8 20:18:20 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:32:07PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >
> > Personally I use sssad now, and it's used throughout the rj library as well. I
> > think, its design is a bit easier to follow and maybe even cleaner. It doesn't
> > include an actual object to save settings to a file, but that's by design: it
> > also doesn't force you to use a specific object to save like Memento did with
> > [pool]. You even can use sssad with pool, if you want. Or use it with
> > message-boxes or [textfile] or [netsend].
> >
> > Oh, and [sssad] is Pd vanilla so it runs on every current distribution of Pd.
>
> So its sounds like memento is no longer supported.

Why? I think, you've misinterpreted what I wrote: I only described what I
currently use for new projects, and that's [sssad]. But I still have tons of
old projects that use Memento and as long as the required externals are there,
it Just Works(tm).

I suspect the crash reported here is due to some externals issue. I've seen
Memento crash, when the wrong [prepend] was used, that's why I removed all
[prepend] from Memento a long time ago. Another reason for crashes has been a
conflict that [pool] had with other flext-based externals (When I gdb-debugged
this, I found crashes happen in xsample, which isn't even used in Memento.) But
AFAIR, later versions of flext didn't show this crash anymore and recompiling
all flext-externals fixed it for me.

That was long ago. So all in all I think, Memento isn't causing crashes anymore
on its own.

> For the 0.43 release of Pd-extended I am planning on pulling out
> non-supported libraries and making them standalone libraries.  Should I
> include memento?

That's up to you. Memento needs [pool], though.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__