[PD] memento file retore crashes Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Apr 10 21:14:14 CEST 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:32:07PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>>
>>> Personally I use sssad now, and it's used throughout the rj
>>> library as well. I
>>> think, its design is a bit easier to follow and maybe even
>>> cleaner. It doesn't
>>> include an actual object to save settings to a file, but that's by
>>> design: it
>>> also doesn't force you to use a specific object to save like
>>> Memento did with
>>> [pool]. You even can use sssad with pool, if you want. Or use it
>>> with
>>> message-boxes or [textfile] or [netsend].
>>>
>>> Oh, and [sssad] is Pd vanilla so it runs on every current
>>> distribution of Pd.
>>
>> So its sounds like memento is no longer supported.
>
> Why? I think, you've misinterpreted what I wrote: I only described
> what I
> currently use for new projects, and that's [sssad]. But I still have
> tons of
> old projects that use Memento and as long as the required externals
> are there,
> it Just Works(tm).
>
> I suspect the crash reported here is due to some externals issue.
> I've seen
> Memento crash, when the wrong [prepend] was used, that's why I
> removed all
> [prepend] from Memento a long time ago. Another reason for crashes
> has been a
> conflict that [pool] had with other flext-based externals (When I
> gdb-debugged
> this, I found crashes happen in xsample, which isn't even used in
> Memento.) But
> AFAIR, later versions of flext didn't show this crash anymore and
> recompiling
> all flext-externals fixed it for me.
>
> That was long ago. So all in all I think, Memento isn't causing
> crashes anymore
> on its own.

Ah, ok, sounds like you are still supporting it then.

>> For the 0.43 release of Pd-extended I am planning on pulling out
>> non-supported libraries and making them standalone libraries.
>> Should I
>> include memento?
>
> That's up to you. Memento needs [pool], though.

I think that it doesn't make a lot of sense to include memento without
including [pool].  So IMHO either someone gets pool included, or
memento should be distributed separately along with pool.

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic