[PD] nusmuk_audio WAS: Max Smoother Audio than Pd?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 08:23:48 CEST 2010

--- On Fri, 4/16/10, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] nusmuk_audio WAS: Max Smoother Audio than Pd?
> To: "PD list" <pd-list at iem.at>, "Phil Stone" <pkstone at ucdavis.edu>
> Date: Friday, April 16, 2010, 8:11 AM
>

> --- On Thu, 4/15/10, Phil Stone <pkstone at ucdavis.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Phil Stone <pkstone at ucdavis.edu>
> > Subject: Re: [PD] nusmuk_audio WAS: Max Smoother Audio
> than Pd?
> > To: "PD list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> > Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 7:49 PM
> > In addition to disagreeing vehemently
> > with your main point (Pd is good for little more than
> > experimentation), I find this a piss-poor acid test
> for
> > "music that sounds good":
> >
> > colet.patrice at free.fr
> > wrote:
> > > there is no such project that show how pd is cool
> > make people moving on the dance floor.
> > >

> Phil- I dig music with compelling sounds, and I generally
> feel the
> urge to move my body to music I dig.  One can use
> whatever
> test one wants to hold up some music as "genuine," and the
> question "does
> it draw people out onto the dance floor?" is just as valid
> as any other in
> this regard.
>
> But then if the point of the acid test is to demonstrate
> the strengths
> of a visual programming paradigm for the rapid
> implementation of various
> dsp techniques to generate music, I'd say the OP's test is
> quite a fitting
> and effective "Hello World" for Pd.
>
> -Jonathan

Btw- I don't mean "this will be a 'Hello World' for Pd at some future
point in its development."  I just mean it's a good way for users to
test how flexible and expressive their software is in a live setting.
I mean let's face it-- you crash at a performance and people sit and read
their programs while you restart the program.  You crash while people are
dancing, and they leave.

-Jonathan