[PD] nusmuk_audio WAS: Max Smoother Audio than Pd?

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Fri Apr 16 16:53:45 CEST 2010

There is little doubt that dance music dominates popular music, and has
done so for eternity, but it certainly does not encompass all that is
"good music".

Just because you feel the urge to move your body to music that is not
dance-centric, i.e., you rock to Beethoven, or Liszt, or Charlie Parker,
that does not mean music should be judged by its ability to draw people
on to the dance floor.  That really describes a rather small slice of
"good music."  Nor, I think, should it be the metric by which Pd is
judged -- certainly not Pd's "Hello World" -- unless Pd is defined as "a
programming language for electronic dance music."

Also, I think there has been some f'ing excellent dance music made with
Pd, so I don't really understand the complaint in the first place.

Phil