[PD] pd and multi-core processors

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Apr 16 22:55:57 CEST 2010

> can someone tell me if one instance of pd (with gem) can use more than
> one core on multi-core processor?

Beyond the new stuff with [pd~], there is also threading in
new versions of [soundfiler], and there is some threading in the
input/output modules of GEM, such as cameras.

There is also other forms of multiprocessing involved : part of the
management of the patch windows is happening in a separate process
involving Tcl/Tk. Then, depending on your OS, there is some amount of
multiprocessing involved : for example, in Linux, the default display
system is X11, and then, using X11 is considered as a kind of network
connection between separate programmes.

So, those are all manners in which patches can spread themselves on
several CPUs. However, if you want to do heavy processing using [pix_...]
objects (and/or GridFlow and PDP) then all of it will use only one CPU,
except for some of the I/O modules as I said above.