[PD] externals/template/

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Apr 16 20:15:40 CEST 2010

On Apr 15, 2010, at 8:00 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote :
>
>> IMHO, the best plan going forward for all these great network
>> objects would to make them a standalone library based on externals/
>> template.
>
> Instead of talking like that, can you just state your agenda about
> externals/template ? I mean, obviously, What it is that you want to
> promote here, is externals/template. What is this thing, and what
> makes it "the best plan going forward" for anything ?
>
> When you increase the amount of "boilerplate", what problem does it
> solve exactly ?
>
> What's a "standalone library" ?
>
> When anything in the template changes, how do you merge the changes
> to every folder that is based on the template ?
>
> What does it achieve, to rename externals/mrpeach/net to externals/
> peachnet ?
>
> If you are looking for bêta-testers for externals/template, why
> don't you just say « I am looking for bêta-testers for externals/
> template » ?

The idea of that template is to make it so that people making Pd
libraries don't have to learn build systems at all, but just plug
their code right in and get lots of benefits, like:

- builds on all platforms
- setup as libdir, so its easily deployable
- 'make dist' makes a proper source tarball
- easy to package for Debian, Fedora, etc.
- automatic universal binaries on Mac OS X

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute.
  - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs